web analytics

5 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

 When it comes to your dog, you are going to give him plenty to eat, throughout his life, including snacks and treats.  From puppy food to senior dog supplements , not to mention a few slippers here and there, your dog is going to have plenty in its mouth and for the most part, much of what ends up there will be relatively harmless.  However, there are a few things that you want to avoid feeding your dog in order to keep him as healthy as possible.

5.  Apple Seeds

 

Apples are full of vitamins and taste sweet and delicious.  So, there is no real question as to whether or not your dog will enjoy the occasional apple slice, which is absolutely fine.  However, apple seeds release cyanide, when ingested by dogs, and too much can really hurt your best friend.

4.  Onions

 

No matter how they are prepared, onions contain disulfides and sulfoxides which are poisonous to dogs.  The same applies to garlic and by feeding your pet these foods, you could easily wind up doing much more damage than good.

3.  Grapes

 

Grapes and their dehydrated counterparts, raisins, are considered nature’s fruit.  They are refreshing and tasty, and it seems that tossing a couple over to your pet may not be a bad idea.  Unfortunately, grapes contain a toxin that can cause severe liver damage and even kidney failure.

2.  Coffee

 

Chances are pretty good that you aren’t sitting down and enjoying a nice cup of coffee with your dog, but the fact is that dogs are tricky and if they smell something they want, they will try to find a way to get to it.  So, even if you aren’t directly giving your dog coffee, it is crucial that your dog never even have the opportunity to ingest it.  The caffeine in coffee is enough to make a dog sick, by causing a rapid heartbeat, diarrhea and vomiting, and even death.  Think about this next time you are putting your mug on a table your pup can reach.

1.   Chocolate

 

Chocolate is absolutely one of the worst things that you can feed your dog, besides straight poison and not just because of the caffeine it contains.  Chocolate contains two chemicals (theobromine and theophylline) that can be deadly to your canine family member.  These chemicals can cause panting, vomiting and diarrhea and it can damage your pup’s heart.  There is NO reason that a dog should ever be fed chocolate.  If you insist on providing a chocolate flavored treat, visit your local pet store, where they are sure to have treats that will not be harmful to your dog.

You want your dog around as long as possible and you want him to stay healthy and happy.  Just because something is fine for humans, you shouldn’t necessarily assume that it is okay for a dog to eat.  These are foods among others, that should be avoided and as a caring dog owner, you will want to make sure you are as knowledgeable as possible, in order to provide the fullest life for your pet.

Speak Your Mind

*


*